The Better Meat Co. (BMC) is a sustainable food tech startup based in Sacramento, California. Well-funded and partnered with major food companies like Hormel Foods, we’ve built and are operating North America’s largest mycelium biomass fermentation facility, advancing our patented technology to create the most sustainable food future for our planet.
As a member of the executive team and reporting directly to the CEO, the Vice President of Finance will have a primary role in the administration of the company’s financial and accounting functions, including significant responsibilities in the areas of corporate financing, planning, forecasting and financial analysis to support business operations and scale-up activities.
- Work cross-functionally to advance the strategic plan and corporate finance activities, including venture capital fundraising efforts.
- Compose, update, and maintain the BMC business plan in coordination with the executive team.
- Build and maintain financial models and data rooms, including COGS, scale-up, investments, and other related financial models. Report such models to the CEO, Board of Directors, investors, and others as needed.
- Help develop go-to-market strategies and oversee implementation.
- Oversee the maintenance of accurate and complete financial records.
- Coordinate all audit responses, including annual financial and contract audits. Manage timely filing of all required tax returns and other statutory filings.
- Supervise accounting and finance staff and all aspects of accounting. Develop, mentor, and train finance team members to match the needs of a growing business. Develop goals, conduct performance appraisals, and provide guidance and feedback.
- Partner with various departments to build useful forecasts and processes for running those aspects of the business. Support other departments with financial information, including RFP, grant applications and reporting.
- Prepare departmental and consolidated financial analysis and reports for presentation to both internal and external stakeholders in both GAAP and non-GAAP formats.
- Drive the implementation of scalable accounting systems, including enhancing the use of automation and technology. Identify and implement technology solutions.
- Review quarterly and annual budgets for all departments.
- Analyze costs and profits, and set and track financial KPIs, and build risk assessment models to evaluate investments.
- Occasional travel will be required.
- 5-10 years of managerial accounting and financial management experience.
- Experience working in a growing start-up environment is strongly preferred.
- Food industry experience is also strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration
- Certifications such as CPA, CFA, and CMA are preferred
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
In addition to a competitive salary which includes equity in the company, The Better Meat Co. offers valuable benefits, including:
- Group health plan coverage (including dental and vision) with employer contributions
- 401k Retirement Savings with employer match
- Free Life Insurance (employer-sponsored)
- Training & Development opportunities
- Paid Time Off
- 40 hours of Paid Sick Time
- 8 paid floating holidays
- Ancillary Benefits: Adoption Assistance, Commuter Benefits
- Employee discounts for eligible vendors
LinkedIn or www.bettermeat.co