EVERY™, based in South San Francisco, is a leading VC-backed food tech ingredient company using precision fermentation to create animal proteins without the animal for the global food and beverage industry. Originally founded as Clara Foods in 2014, EVERY™ rebranded in 2021 to better convey its vision to bring animal-free proteins to everyone, everywhere. EVERY™ is a team of passionate change makers who are reimagining the factory farm model with a kinder, more sustainable alternative. Leveraging precision fermentation to produce hyper-functional and one-to-one replacement proteins from microorganisms, EVERY™ is on a mission to decouple the world’s proteins from the animals that make them.
We are a passionate, determined, (and fun!) team with a vital objective, and we're on the lookout for like-minded people to join our mission. Sound like you?
You’ll be leading EVERY’s legal team reporting to the COO. You will have the opportunity to build your team from scratch while working with the existing outside counsel. We’re excited for you to play a significant role in providing legal guidance to functions across the business and creating a strategy for how to manage everything from IP to contracts. You will also be a strategic partner providing insights into commercial and manufacturing strategic partnerships.
- Serve as lead counsel on all legal and regulatory matters across the business including commercial contracts, employment matters, intellectual property etc.
- Identify & manage a wide range of external counsel and consultants
- Review, draft, and advise on a variety of technology and commercial agreements
- Support contract negotiations with strategic partners on complex commercial and technology matters
- Assist in developing legal strategy (specifically intellectual property and regulatory strategy) aligned with business priorities
- Advise leadership on legal issues and risks throughout the business and relationships with third parties, and advise on appropriate risk mitigation
- Assist with managing fundraising due diligence and preparing transaction documentation
- Develop a roadmap for building a best-in-class legal function, including defining roles and responsibilities and hiring a team of A-players
- Other special projects given your interest areas and the needs of a rapidly scaling company & team
Requirements for the role:
- Passionate about our mission of shutting down the last factory farm on Earth
- Licensed to practice law, preferably in California (member of the bar or Registered In-House Counsel)
- 5+ years of experience practicing law either at a top-tier law firm and/or in-house experience at a startup
- Practical knowledge in a wide range of legal areas, including: intellectual property, employment, commercial transactions (food regulatory would be a plus!)
- Deep understanding of deal structures and Intellectual Property licensing models
- Works well both independently and with a highly collaborative team, with proven ability to multi-task and set priorities
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple projects with competing priorities, meet deadlines, and adapt to change within a rapidly growing company
- Bias for action
Company is headquartered in South San Francisco - Company may be open to hybrid or remote-based workers for this role. Must be available to work standard business hours in Pacific Time.
What EVERY™ can Offer for Full-Time Positions:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 14 paid company holidays per year
- Parental Leave: 10 weeks of parental leave and 6 weeks of childbirth leave
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and CalTrain stations, including free shuttle service
EVERY™ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.