EVERY™, based in South San Francisco, is a leading VC-backed food tech ingredient company using precision fermentation to create animal proteins without the animal for the global food and beverage industry. Originally founded as Clara Foods in 2014, EVERY™ rebranded in 2021 to better convey its vision to bring animal-free proteins to everyone, everywhere. EVERY™ is a team of passionate change makers who are reimagining the factory farm model with a kinder, more sustainable alternative. Leveraging precision fermentation to produce hyper-functional and one-to-one replacement proteins from microorganisms, EVERY™ is on a mission to decouple the world’s proteins from the animals that make them.
We are a passionate, determined, (and fun!) team with a vital objective, and we're on the lookout for like-minded people to join our mission. Sound like you?
EVERY’s data team brings together scientists, engineers, and designers to craft tailor made tools that accelerate and inform every part of the organization. This team is weaving data products into the fabric of the organization from machine learning in genomics to process optimization and mining on flavor. We are looking for folks eager to learn about and collaborate with many different disciplines. Ideal candidates are ready to work with others to build solutions from conception to release.
We are excited to welcome a new Software Engineer who will co-design and build applications that explore and extend our rich understanding of our strain’s relationships and genetics. You will work together with data scientists, software engineers, biologists, and bioinformaticians to guide information through complex workflows, building creative tools for understanding our yeast cells (“omics” data) in a new way.
Reports to: Director of Data & Digital Technologies
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Location: South San Francisco (Fully remote until further notice)
You are excited to work with others in applying software and data engineering skills to biology, food science, operations, and sustainability. You are able to participate in the full journey of your work from initial exploration with internal users to integration in a production system, conducting experiments and growing infrastructure alongside others. You may or may not be fluent in all of these different areas but are eager to build your knowledge broadly while working with many other parts of the company, collaborating on crucial internal bespoke web applications and distributed systems. You will support your teammates as they work with you to craft novel digital tools to accelerate the company’s mission.
Like others on the team, you will shepard your high impact work from conception to release:
- Co-designing solutions and fostering partnerships with other teams and partners.
- Experimenting in complex problems and datasets, often prototyping to learn.
- Storytelling about your work for different audiences.
- Creating conduits for data that unite different teams together.
- Building software-based tools around your work for internal users using architectural patterns and user research that enable your services to grow.
Skills and Requirements
We are building a diverse team so encourage folks to apply even if they don’t have all of the following but want to work with many different tools and technologies:
- Python programming
- Building services (flask, fastapi, or django a plus)
- Working with SQL (postgres a plus)
- Distributed computing (spark, hadoop, dask, or pathos a plus)
- Experience with cloud IaaS / PaaS (Google Cloud, AWS, or similar a plus)
- Unit testing (CI/CD a plus)
- Prior work or desire to grow in food and bioinformatics.
Experience in the following is a plus but not required:
- ElasticSearch or Rethinkdb.
- Statistics (experience in scipy or statsmodels a plus but not required)
- Work with biological data including omics / bioinformatics datasets (scikit-bio or similar a plus)
- Knowledge of software architecture patterns a plus
Note: though most employees are currently working from home, you will be expected to be available during regular business hours (9am to 5pm Pacific Time) and, periodically, during pre-scheduled times outside regular business hours.
This position is based in our South San Francisco, CA location - there is no relocation assistance offered at this time.
What EVERY™ can Offer for Full-Time Positions:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 14 paid company holidays per year
- Parental Leave: 10 weeks of parental leave and 6 weeks of childbirth leave
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and CalTrain stations, including free shuttle service
EVERY™ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.