Clara Foods is currently seeking a talented and innovative Process Engineer to join our R&D Manufacturing department located at our South San Francisco, CA. As a process engineer, you will have the opportunity to participate in activities directly related to different aspects of downstream process development and industrialization of animal free animal proteins. You will be a key figure to work on purifying transformative ingredients and change the existing food system.
Reports to: Senior Process Engineer
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Drives improvement in yield, quality, and efficiency in downstream across various products using different techniques.
- Support scale-up scale-down experiments and think out of the box solutions for at scale problems
- Be a technical resource for internal manufacturing, business development, and external manufacturing teams to troubleshoot problems on the floor and recommend solutions
- Manages external vendors, recommends equipment, and arranges for purchase of equipment and parts adhering to quality standards and necessary specifications.
- Execute downstream processing using various methods not limited to centrifugation, filtration (UF/DF), chromatography, flocculation, precipitation, etc. on a routine weekly basis
- Be a subject matter expert in all unit operations and have the ability to pick up new equipment quickly
- Have the ability to be an independent contributor and work under ambiguity
- Structure back end data processing and convert existing SQL data into visual results and derive conclusions.
- Support the upstream processing team in ongoing projects and processes
- Travel maybe required between 0-100% a month basis depending on requirement
Skills and abilities:
- Must have bachelor’s plus 4 years (or Master's +2 years) of demonstrated downstream experience at scale would be highly preferred
- Existing knowledge about upstream, downstream processes and the ability to link upstream broth to downstream purified finished product
- Existing knowledge and prior experience in food/pharmaceutical GMP facilities
- Must have prior experience in the lab and have good aseptic technique to work in the biosafety cabinet.
- Basic knowledge of SQL, R, Tableau to support data processing and analysis.
- Must be a good communicator and be comfortable with handling simultaneous tasks.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods