The Better Meat Co. (BMC) is an innovative protein ingredient company based in West Sacramento, California. Our approach is simple: bring the conventional meat industry and the emerging plant-based protein movement together to create hybrid meat products that leave a much lighter footprint than those that are solely meat. We produce plant-protein ingredients designed to seamlessly blend into conventional meat, thereby enhancing taste, nutrition, and sustainability. At the forefront of protein technology, we’re pioneering ingredient formulations to create the most sustainable food future for our planet.
Under the supervision and direction of the Senior VP of Operations & Logistics, the Food Safety/Quality Assurance Supervisor is an exempt, full-time position responsible for the development and execution of food safety programs, regulatory programs and third party audits. The position is responsible for directing, implementing, enforcing and oversight of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Good Manufacturing Procedures (GMPs).
- Development, implementation, and management of food safety and monitoring programs such as HACCP, GMP, BRC and/or SQF, Pest Control, SSOP, hold and release and product disposition.
- Provide HACCP and Preventative Controls training.
- Ensure all samples for chemical and microbiological testing are correctly sampled and analyzed.
- Provide direction for in-process and finished product testing, instrument calibration and environmental testing.
- Recommend new processes, equipment, and procedures to enhance and improve the functioning of the company’s food production plant.
- Assure compliance with safety and quality standards, as well as state and federal requirements, throughout all operations and processes.
- Design programs to identify current food security measures, gaps in the current food security programs and remedial actions in order to provide continual plant and personnel security, product and processes security, formulation and computer security, methods for destruction of unused/obsolete packaging and labels, proper handling and storage of all food ingredients along with finished goods in-house and in-transit security.
- Internal and external auditing, risk identification, and mitigation development.
- Prepare responses to regulatory bodies, address external/internal audit issues and track corrective action effectiveness.
- Initiate and coordinate pertinent classroom and hands-on training for relevant personnel that addresses food safety, worker safety, continuous improvement, current product issues along with new programs and processes being implemented. Develop and pre-schedule quarterly meetings and agendas.
- Provides ongoing support, guidance, direction and assistance to production, maintenance, and sanitation personnel with food safety, quality and regulatory compliance.
- Develop and communicate processes and systems in order to enable operations management to achieve product quality and process targets through data analysis, analytical problem solving and capability enhancement.
- Confidence as a food safety expert to make business and quality risk-based decisions and recommendations based on scientific, regulatory, and quality evidence.
- Systematic approach to problem solving and collaboration across disciplines.
- Accountable and highly adaptable while maintaining high quality and food safety standards.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to seamlessly work with cross-functional teams
- B.S. in food science, microbiology, or similar degree with 2+ years of FDA regulated facility food safety and quality program which includes quality systems design, management, and implementation.
- In-depth knowledge of food microbiology, product sampling plans, and environmental monitoring programs.
- In-depth knowledge of FDA FSMA regulations and one of the following standards: SQF/BRCGS.
- Certified as a Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI)
- HACCP certificate.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google products (eg, Docs and Sheets) and software applications commonly used in the food industry.
- Advanced technical writing skills with experience writing food safety and quality-related policies, procedures, and work instructions.
- Must exhibit advanced leadership, communication, customer relations, detail orientation, organizational and time management skills.
- Must have access to reliable transportation that does not interfere with performing the essential functions of this job description.
- Able to perform the duties of the job description with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must provide proof of identification and eligibility to work in the United States of America.
- Work is primarily performed in a laboratory, manufacturing facility, and office setting.
- Work environment is fast-paced with unique challenges faced daily.
- This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 50 pounds.
The Better Meat Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender
(including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Please email resume and cover letter to: [email protected]at.co or apply on Indeed: