Do you have a passion for using biotechnology to build sustainable new sources of animal-free protein? Do you want to join a new community of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people? Then we are looking for you. You will love our mission of using innovative strain technology and advanced fermentation processes to create novel sources of protein for human nutrition. As a Research Associate in the Bioanalytical Process Chemistry team, you will apply innovative analytical tools and automation to provide insights into Clara’s bioprocess workstreams, working cross-functionally with the Strain, Process, and Applications teams in areas such as QA/QC, process optimization, and protein characterization.
Reports to: Director, R&D
FLSA Status: Exempt, full-time
Location: South San Francisco, CA
- Performing routine existing assays to support upstream/downstream process characterization and high throughput screening
- Compiling, analyzing and interpreting data to present in team meetings while working cross-functionally to develop new experiment to support project goals
- Assisting in assay validation, testing external protocols, writing SOPs, and generating transfer documents for external groups
- Maintaining analytical equipment in a calibrated and operational state
- Experience in basic biochemistry/molecular biology techniques (including but not limited to SDS-PAGE, Western Blotting, UV-Vis spectrophotometry, BCA/Bradford, HPLC) to facilitate sample characterization
- Keeping a detailed and complete record of all work performed
- Using liquid handlers and other automation equipment to improve efficiency and throughput
- B.S. degree in a relevant field (chemistry, biochemistry, biochemical engineering, chemical engineering, biological sciences)
- 1 to 3 years of industry and/or academic experience
- Experience using automated liquid handlers such as Biomek i7 or Biomek Fx preferred but not required
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Good teamwork, ability to multitask, and organization
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and preferably some experience with Chromeleon
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
What Clara can offer:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock options
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Unlimited paid time off and 10 paid company holidays per year
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly themed happy hours and quarterly company outings
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and CalTrain stations, including free shuttle service
About Clara Foods™
Clara Foods™ is a Bay Area venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins without the animal using fermentation. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting - and that technology may hold a solution.
As much as the growing market demands for animal protein production exert pressure on food producers to improve their efficiencies and outputs, there is also growing public distaste for the environmental, animal welfare, and health compromises of industrial-scale animal agriculture.
Clara Foods™ aims to subvert this moral and economic deadlock by taking the animal out of the equation. We’re bringing products to the table that are produced completely animal-free, use less land and water inputs, while matching the taste, nutritional value, and unique culinary properties of animal proteins.