Helaina is a team brought together by the belief that health and developmental outcomes of all infants can be improved through nutritional options closest to human milk. Our team is revolutionizing the infant nutrition space by developing a food product meant to uniquely support babies in their earliest stages. Helaina’s R&D ecosystem harnesses the power of naturally-occurring biological processes in tandem with modern advances in the space of synthetic biology, fermentation, and improved industrial processing. We are a fast-paced startup looking for our next team member who is intensely passionate about advancing synthetic biology for food and beverage products.
In this role, you will work in our NYC lab to strategize, plan, and perform experiments on the Strain Engineering team. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, motivated self-starter with a strong sense of initiative and attention to detail. You will be responsible for contributing directly to Helaina’s company milestones by supporting strain construction, strain characterization, and protocol development Strain Engineering team. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is hungry to work in a startup environment and ready to do the best work of your career.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform experiments with demonstrated competence in standard cell and molecular biology techniques and aseptic technique
- Develop new techniques and molecular tools to support strain engineering and protein engineering
- Performing genome engineering using a CRISPR/Cas9-based system
- Design of assembly strategies for building DNA constructs.This includes: primer design, performance of in silico assemblies, experimental planning and troubleshooting.
- Develop analytical assays to validate and improve recombinant protein expression from a microbial system
- Prepare technical reports, quantitative analyses, protocols, and scientific presentations
- Work in a highly collaborative, cross-functional team environment to perform experiments in the lab, analyze results, and communicate findings in team meetings.
Who You Are:
- Ph.D. with 0-2 years of experience or Masters degree with 3-5 years of experience in Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology, or related disciplines. Start-up or industry experience in molecular biology or protein engineering preferred.
- Proficiency in standard methods of molecular biology, strain engineering, protein analytics, and optimizing protein expression.
- Extensive experience in genome engineering using CRISPR-Cas9
- Experience with microbial expression systems for protein production
- Comfortable running PCR, restriction digests, different types of DNA assemblies, SDS-PAGE, ELISA, BCA, and Western Blot
- Energetic, creative, and personally motivated by the future of food and/or biological products
- Eager to troubleshoot through lab and experimental issues and discover new findings
- Self-motivated to design, troubleshoot, and successfully execute protocols
- Effective communicator, both within a collaborative scientific team and in communicating science to non-technical audiences
Helaina is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Send CV/resume to [email protected]