Clara Foods is a San Francisco based company working towards a disruptive advance in the food ingredients business by creating a world leading fermentation & synthetic biology platform. We are manufacturing animal free proteins with novel functionalities. Following a successful Series B raise in 2019, and with major technology advancements in 2020, the organization is accelerating commercialization of the world's first animal-free egg proteins and expanding its research and development & manufacturing capabilities to support its product pipeline. The organization is working with industry collaborators to make products with higher levels of protein and unique functionalities. Clara Foods has successfully commercialized its first animal free animal protein.
Clara Foods is seeking a creative and hard working Research Associate II to join the Protein Discovery team. The successful candidate will help develop purification strategies for proteins produced by Clara’s yeast platform and perform biochemical analyses of the purified proteins. They will also interface with Clara’s BioProcess Development team to assist in the translation of laboratory purification protocols into process scale procedures.
If you are…
- ready to move past a traditional 9-5 and work towards moving the needle on the Earth’s most existential threats of deforestation, mass extinctions, climate change, and food shortages
- insanely hungry and entrepreneurial with no ego and a relentless work ethic
- ready to change the course of history, push the frontier of science and do it alongside the most passionate, intelligent, and humble people you’ve ever met, then look no further.
This job isn't for the faint of heart. Join our team, own your destiny, and lead the world's transition to animal-free protein
Reports to: Senior Scientist, Protein Science
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Operate according to Clara Foods’ safety guidelines
- Help develop and execute protein purification procedures that can be scaled up for process scale production
- Perform and analyze biochemical assays (spectrophotometric, stability, activity, etc) to assist in assessments of purified protein quality
- Work with BioProcess Development team to facilitate scaling up of purification methods
- Work alongside creative, innovative scientists
- Document results and report to team members
- B.S. in Biochemistry, bio-engineering or similar program with 2 to 4 years’ industrial work experience or B.S. plus M.S. and 0 to 1 year of industrial experience.
- Strong background in protein purification and characterization, including chromatography via FPLC, gel electrophoresis, and western analyses.
- Experienced in biochemical assays (ie: spectroscopic analyses via UV/vis, fluorescence, FTIR, or CD; thermal shift assays, solubility measurements) .
- Experience with various protein recovery methods at process scale such as tangential flow filtration, a plus
- Comfortable working within a small, collaborative team, passionate about changing the world of food
- Must be Authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods