Roslin Technologies is an ambitious, cutting‐edge biotech company focused on food and agriculture. Our mission is to advance disruptive biotechnologies to improve how we produce proteins. We envision a world where everyone has access to affordable, nutritious and responsibly produced protein. Alternative proteins are key to addressing the need for more food; included in this is the rapidly increasing cultivated meat sector. Our work as a cell line provider, using ground-breaking technology, is unique to this sector and our animal cell lines are playing a key role in bringing the reality of cultivated meat closer.
To make cultivated meat, cells need to grow at a vast scale. This is a new and innovative area where we strive to be global leaders. This is an exciting opportunity for a Post-Doctoral Stem Cell Scientist to join our science team to help fulfil our vision for an alternative protein future.
Our state-of-the-art laboratories are based at the Roslin Innovation Centre near Edinburgh. To complement our own internal capabilities, we have privileged access to the world-famous Roslin Institute, which is co-located on the Easter Bush Campus.
About the role
This is a new opportunity for an experienced and enthusiastic Stem Cell Scientist to join our stem cells team based at the Roslin Innovation Centre. This team develops bespoke cell lines for cultivated meat and are at the forefront of animal stem cell technologies, having derived induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells from a range of species.
The appointee will be involved in the application of cutting-edge approaches to generate, develop and scale-up iPS cell lines from a range of livestock species. This will require experience in tissue culture, cell biology, molecular biology, bioinformatics and data analysis.
What we’re looking for:
Experience and Skills / Level
- BSc in a biological discipline / Essential
- PhD in stem cell science / Essential
- Tissue culture expertise, including excellent aseptic technique / Essential
- Ability to successfully deliver a research project, including the design and execution of experiments, data interpretation and analysis, and the completion of reports within deadlines / Essential
- Experience in primary culture of animal tissue to derive new cell lines / Desirable
- Experience of iPS cell reprogramming strategies and delivery techniques in different types of mammalian cells / Desirable
- Experience in molecular biology (including CRISPR genome editing) and protein expression / Desirable
- Experience in bioinformatics / Desirable
- Experience in commercial R&D / Desirable
- Experience in supervision and/or training of personnel / Desirable
This role is for a fixed term full-time contract. Available immediately for 18 months initially, with further extension intended. We will offer a competitive and attractive compensation package.
For enquiries, please contact Professor Jacqui Matthews ([email protected]).
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter explaining why you have applied for the post to [email protected].
Closing date: 01 November 2021
Roslin Technologies’ offers
- Competitive and attractive salary and generous company pension plan
- A passionate work environment focused on a fast-growing field, using ground-breaking stem cell technologies
- Strong emphasis on team performance, scientific rigour, and personal development
- Regular company events to foster our culture