Posted: November 12, 2021
Closing: December 31, 2021
Under the direction of the VP of Product Development, the Food Scientist is responsible for innovating new animal-free meat applications and improving existing ones. With a strong food science background and knowledge of alternative proteins, the Food Scientist will also help execute production runs, interface with ingredient suppliers, co-manufacturers, and customers.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Create new applications for mycoprotein ingredients
- Improve existing applications for mycoprotein ingredients
- Enhance texture, functionality and appearance of mycoprotein products.
- New ingredient sourcing, evaluation, costing, qualification and specification.
- Conduct sensory analysis.
- Ability to scale up recipes and help maintain recipe software.
- Conduct shelf life assessments and tests.
- Plan and execute day to day project and lab activities.
- Develop innovative food products using various animal-free ingredients.
- Formulate food product concepts to demonstrate functional attributes.
- Improve existing products or processes, develop formulation and create finished goods specifications.
- Collaborate with suppliers and vendors to effectively source materials and services.
- Coordinate sample requests, supporting commercial trials, and delivering sensory feedback in a timely manner
- Collaborate with external labs to conduct analytical as well as nutritional testing as needed.
- Help oversee production runs both in-house and with co-manufacturers.
- Perform a broad spectrum of tasks in the lab including experimental planning and execution, basic analytical protocol, generating SOP’s, and more.
- Conduct chemical extraction and analysis for screening of desirable food quality traits.
- Conduct routine sample preparation and analysis in compliance with applicable protocols, methods/SOPs.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory and food safety GMPs.
- Operate various types of processing and cooking equipment.
- Maintain good lab and kitchen hygiene.
- Operate in compliance with SOPs and safety and security regulations and policies.
- Maintain detailed lab records and data. Generate quality experimental reports.
- Perform other duties supporting the R&D team as assigned.
- Bachelor’s in food science or substantial experience in the food science world.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in food development
- Knowledge of plant-based meat formulations and processes
- A history of being an effective, detailed, communicative, and passionate person and are proven in your ability to create and deliver quality work.
- Experience implementing and organizing scalable systems (SOP’s, formulations, etc)
- Extremely collaborative and able to communicate and provide feedback.
- Competent in technical writing to document laboratory results and observations.
- Adaptable and shows flexibility in approach to changing situations.
- Excellent analytical teamwork, verbal and written communication skills.
- Act responsibly with confidential matters.
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks and meet multiple deadlines throughout the day.
- Must provide proof of identification and eligibility to work in the United States of America.
- Food manufacturing experience is a plus.
- Work is primarily performed in a laboratory, commercial kitchen and plant setting. Work environment is fast-paced with unique challenges faced daily.
- Work requires the use of fine motor skills, standing for extended periods of time, reaching and twisting motions and lifting.
As part of the BMC team, you will have the opportunity to explore innovative techniques, approaches and ideas combining the future of food and sustainable agriculture. We can’t wait to change the world with you!
The Better Meat Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
How to apply