Human Resources Generalist
Posted: October 5, 2021
Closing: January 8, 2022
Job Title: Human Resources Generalist
Reports to: Associate Director of People Operations
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Location: South San Francisco, CA
* This role requires 3 or 4 days days of being on-site at the office ______________________________________________________
A growing syn-biotechnology company is seeking an experienced Human Resources Generalist to join their South San Francisco-based team. The Human Resources Generalist, under the general direction of the Director of the Associate Director of People Operations, assists in the administration of human resources function to include, but not limited to, recruitment and retention of staff, benefits administration, orientation of staff, worker’s compensation, and policy administration. The Human Resources Generalist supports the recruiting function by screening resumes to identify candidates and may interview entry level candidates. This position supports benefits administration by overseeing the legislated leave of absence process. The Human Resources Generalist is the front line for providing customer service to employee and manager needs. The Human Resources Generalist assists in federal, state, compliance audit preparedness activities. The Human Resources Generalist assists with special HR projects and may serve as a project coordinator. The Human Resources Generalist must have prior Human Resources experience, very strong organizational skills, the ability to keep employee information confidential, and have strong computer skills.
We are building an amazing team of brilliant, collaborative and mission-driven individuals who take pride in using their diverse skills to contribute to a better world.
Our core values include tenacity, curiosity, trust, teamwork, inclusivity and balance and we strive to bring these values to life every day.
Join our team, own your destiny, and lead the world's transition to animal-free protein.
- Ensures compliance with state and federal regulations when setting policies and procedures in dealing with daily employee situations. Assist with all human resources operations; benefits, recruitment and retention, workers compensation, staffing and wages, employee relations. Serves as a resource to the Associate Director of People Operations, department managers and other employees. Supports the recruiting function by screening applicants to identify candidates. Oversees all leave of absence requests and process.
- Listens actively and objectively to complaints and concerns voiced by staff. Responds professionally and appropriately when asked questions. Solicits and provides communication to/from the appropriate people in a timely manner. Keeps confidences appropriately and protects sensitive information.
- Readily adapts to new or challenging circumstances. Leads others by example to make or adapt to change.
- Collaborates with others to coordinate care, resolve concerns/complaints, and address the needs of leadership and staff in a timely manner. Demonstrates approachable attitude and accepts constructive criticism. Shows sensitivity to the diverse needs, feelings and perspectives of others. Builds strong working relationships with co-workers and other staff, recognizing individual talents and perspectives to identify, analyze, and solve problems.
- Partner with senior management to plan and direct all aspects of human resources functions including compliance to Federal, State and local labor laws, regulations, Clara Foods policies, programs and best practices.
- Provide day-to-day performance management support to managers; provide coaching, counseling, and disciplinary actions to employees as needed.
- Maintain accurate records in HRIS and payroll systems.
- Identify training needs for business units and participate in facilitation.
What we expect:
- Demonstrated experience with cross-functional collaboration.
- Strong ability to use data to influence decision-making.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- This role will be based in our South San Francisco office, this role will work from that office at least three days a week with two days remote offering a flexible schedule.
Qualifications and Education:
- BA or BS degree in Human Resource Administration, or related field. Experience may substitute for four-year degree on a year for year basis.
- Minimum of 7 years of Human Resources experience
- SPHR, PHR, PHRca, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP or other applicable specialized certification preferred.
- Proficiency in Human Resource practices and California employment law, federal laws and regulations, including FLSA, ADA, Workers' Compensation regulations, DFEH, EEOC, FMLA and CFRA required.
- Competency in HRIS and ATS software required (Namely, Payscale, JazzHR preferred).
- Strong presentation and communication skills, both in creation and facilitation required.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Experience at a high-growth startup in the ingredient, flavor, agricultural and food strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong Interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization and in a variety of cultures – both internal and external.
- Experience with processing immigration matters
- Experience with Payroll processing
- Available to travel domestically approximately < 5%.
- Ability to take risks to achieve desired results.
- Ability to adapt and support others through change, ambiguity and complexity.
What Clara Foods can offer:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock options
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Weekly Lunches
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly themed happy hours and quarterly company outings
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and Cal Train stations, including free shuttle service
Clara Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
How to apply