Principal Food Scientist
Posted: February 4, 2022
Closing: March 31, 2022
At New School Foods, our mission is to accelerate the transition to a kinder, healthier, alt-protein-first food system. Using plant-based ingredients & our proprietary production technologies, we create zero-compromise seafood alternatives designed for the average consumer. Our healthy, whole-muscle, plant-based filets are made to look, cook, taste and flake just like fish. All with a lower carbon footprint, and without harming the ocean.
Through our focus on continuous R&D, we are building products that don’t just make change easier, they make it rewarding. They say “there are plenty of fish in the sea” - come be a part of the New School team, and let’s make sure it stays that way.
We are adding an experienced, innovative, and motivated Principal Food Materials Scientist to lead our laboratory R&D activities. The Principal Food Materials Scientist will have significant responsibility and influence on the design of our food science R&D and product development platform. Our ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of novel food product design and development, with experience in product formulation, sensory analysis, chemistry, structure, food safety, flavor, color, analysis, processing, and preservation related to meat and/or alternative meat products.
In this role, you will work closely with a team of food scientists at our Toronto-based R&D lab & product development kitchen to develop and modify the texture and flavor of our plant-based product. Demonstrated capability should include the characterization and understanding of protein structure/function relationships, particularly in novel food systems.
- Improve existing processes and formulations to enhance the organoleptic properties, texture, nutritional profiles, and cooking profile of our products, leveraging personal expertise, ideation with team members, literature and IP research, experimentation, materials procurement etc.
- Drive new product development from ideation to bench-top prototypes to pilot production to consumer use, ensuring compliance with food safety standards
- Design and execute experiments, write SOPs & protocols for new procedures, synthesize data and prepare results for review
- Create and characterize hydrocolloid-starch-protein systems and develop an understanding of their macromolecular interactions
- Lead collaborative interactions with a broad group of external partners including academic researchers, analytical service providers, consultants, ingredient suppliers, equipment manufacturers, IP lawyers, and regulatory professionals.
- Continuously search for and vet advanced technologies that complement areas of strategic focus, and gather insight into new ingredient technologies
- Perform ingredient screening, carry out shelf-life experiments and develop well-defined test objectives for sensory experiments
- Participate with scientists in the drafting of patents, scientific papers, presentations
- Provide training and experimental guidance for a small team of scientists.
- Maintain a laboratory notebook, upload data into online an knowledge management system and present research findings in a succint well-organized manner to the team
- Maintain and operate a broad array of sample preparation and analytical equipment (texture analyzer, colorimeter etc)
- Provide general laboratory support, purchase equipment and supplies, maintain a clean, organized, and safe work area, including routine maintenance & cleaning of equipment, utensils and work surfaces, and ensure compliance with all safety policies and practices.
SKILLS & TRAITS
- Embraces the mission and purpose of New School Foods
- Excitement for working in a fast-paced environment, with high energy, creativity, personal dedication, accountability and ownership
- Understands and thrives in an unstructured startup environment and is able to develop structure and process where required while maintaining flexibility and agility
- Excellent time management, teamwork, and communication skills (verbal and written), with ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead a high performance team
- Adaptable to evolving scientific and business priorities
- Business acumen
- PhD in a scientific discipline (materials science, physics or biophysics, chemistry, physical chemistry, biological or chemical engineering, or a related field) with 5+ years of product development experience in a food and/or food ingredient company, OR M.S. with 7+ years of experience OR OR B.S. with 12+ years of experience
- Experience in food product design, including formulation, ingredient functionality and interaction, sensory analysis, process design, product scale-up, plant testing and commercialization
- Expertise in food texture development and emulsion formulation
- Proven ability to leverage scientific insight towards the development of food processes and/or products
- Hands-on experience characterizing and quantifying food ingredients such as proteins, fats, hydrocolloids, flavorants, colorants, and nutrients by developing unique analytical methods using chemistry, rheology, texture analysis, and other scientific means
- Demonstrated knowledge of lab techniques and instrumentation as evidenced by experience with several specialized instruments
- Knowledge of industry standard processing techniques and the ability to research, design and implement disruptive technologies new to the industry
- Knowledgeable about the structure/function properties of proteins, starches, hydrocolloids, and how they function in food-related materials
- Background in food industry standards of quality, food safety and USDA/FDA regulations
- Nice to haves but not required: Prior experimental research experience in a wet lab // Experience in meat product or alternative/plant based meat product formulation and commercialization // Diverse experience with plant-based protein alternatives preferred but not required
New School Foods offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, paid time off, and more. This position is for our Toronto, Canada location.
Please note that New School Foods has a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. All employees are required to be Fully Vaccinated as a condition of employment. At New School Foods, we believe that the success of our mission requires diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We’re committed to creating an inclusive culture as we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
How to apply
Submit your application here: https://secure.collage.co/jobs/newschoolfoods/28251