Scientist, Fermentation and Microbiology
Posted: November 12, 2021
Closing: December 31, 2021
The Better Meat Co. (BMC) is a sustainable food tech startup based in Sacramento, California. Well-funded and partnered with major food companies like Hormel Foods, we’ve built and are operating North America’s largest mycelium biomass fermentation facility, advancing our patented technology to create the most sustainable food future for our planet.
Under the direction of the Senior Director of Research, the Fermentation Scientist will be responsible for improving fermentation processes at the bench scale, and in coordination with the plant scale. As a Fermentation Scientist, you will play a lead role in tackling key challenges in producing a novel food product via a fermentation process.
- Promote scientific and data-driven approaches to pose research questions, solve problems and troubleshoot processes.
- Identify avenues for improvements of fungi and fermentation parameters to drive growth, protein production, and desired phenotypes.
- Design and execute experiments firsthand focused on fungal morphology, physiology, growth optimization, and nutrient requirements.
- Identify major inputs in fermentation processes that impact product yield and quality, including substrate components and preparation, fermentation parameters, and downstream processes.
- Optimize fermentation pipelines by continually running analyses for KPIs utilizing expertise, analytical equipment, and external analyses.
Qualifications and skills
- M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Microbiology, Genetics, Chemical Engineering, or a related field with 2+ years of experience in microbial fermentation process development.
- Experienced with bioreactor fermentation, preferably at several scales.
- Highly versed in statistical-guided experimental design and analysis.
- Skilled at employing software and statistical platforms for data analysis (e.g. JMP, Tableau, Spotfire, or R).
- Proactive, innovative, and technically savvy. Demonstrated attitude of purposely identifying areas of improvement and acting to deliver change.
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment and handling dynamic priorities and timelines. A self-driven individual who desires the fast pace and extreme collaboration of a young company.
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks and meet multiple deadlines throughout the day.
- Must provide proof of identification and eligibility to work in the United States of America.
- Work is primarily performed in a development lab setting. Work environment is fast-paced with unique challenges faced daily.
- Work requires the use of fine motor skills, standing for extended periods of time, reaching and twisting motions and lifting 50 pounds.
As part of the BMC team, you will have the opportunity to explore innovative techniques, approaches and ideas combining the future of food and sustainable agriculture. We can’t wait to change the world with you!
The Better Meat Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
How to apply