Senior Fermentation Manager (Hybrid)
Posted: July 27, 2022
Closing: October 27, 2022
EVERY™, based in South San Francisco, is a leading VC-backed food tech ingredient company using precision fermentation to create animal proteins without the animal for the global food and beverage industry. Originally founded as Clara Foods in 2014, EVERY™ rebranded in 2021 to better convey its vision to bring animal-free proteins to everyone, everywhere. EVERY™ is a team of passionate change makers who are reimagining the factory farm model with a kinder, more sustainable alternative. Leveraging precision fermentation to produce hyper-functional and one-to-one replacement proteins from microorganisms, EVERY™ is on a mission to decouple the world’s proteins from the animals that make them.
We are a passionate, determined, (and fun!) team with a vital objective, and we're on the lookout for like-minded people to join our mission. Sound like you?
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
An experienced fermentation engineer or scientist to lead our Fermentation team in developing and scaling up microbial fermentation processes that are foundational to our products.
- You will be the onsite subject matter expert for fermentation process
- You will work closely with our research team & bioprocess development team to identify and develop processes for strains from the Strain Engineering team
- You will mentor & train eager and dedicated junior scientists, engineers & operators
- You will help maintain a culture of collaboration and innovation
- Commitment in championing and enforcing safety protocols and procedures and sustainability drives
- Degree in Biochemical or Chemical Engineering or equivalent; B.S. with 12 plus years or M.S. with 10 years of relevant experience or a PhD with 5+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated ability and experience in supervising entry level engineers and scientists in a laboratory and semi-works pilot plant environment
- Experience in managing a high-performance team and mentoring and developing talent
- Demonstrated team leadership in directing troubleshooting campaigns, experimental design, execution, and data analysis in a multi-shift pilot plant environment
- Proficiency in working cross functionally with Strain Engineering, Manufacturing, and Product development teams to meet customer requirements
- Lab management skills to support effective, high quality fermentation experiments with material and carbon balance
- Experience with scaling up fermentation processes and transferring them to CMOs
- Ability to propose and execute new Insights to improve process metrics including COGS
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills not only within your functional team, but also cross functionally, including ability to engage with senior leadership
- Willingness to lead and work hands-on in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 25%, including international travel, while observing COVID restrictions
*This position is based in our South San Francisco, CA location - The Every Company may may agree to offer relocation assistance for this role. *
What EVERY™ can Offer for Full-Time Positions:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 14 paid company holidays per year
- Parental Leave: 10 weeks of parental leave and 6 weeks of childbirth leave
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and CalTrain stations, including free shuttle service
EVERY™ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
How to apply