The VP of Process Development & Scale Up will lead Air Protein’s Fermentation and Recovery Bioprocess to make novel ingredients from bench to pilot to commercial production. Reporting to the CEO, this person will lead and manage a team of engineers, chemists and fermentation scientists that work within and across functions to support the development and scale up of AIr Protein’s fermentation products to serve in a range of applications and markets.
This includes integrating the process development function both upstream (with product discovery, industrial biology and fermentation and DSP functions) and process optimization from H2 bioconversion through downstream processing (with process engineering and design, scale-up, technology transfer, manufacturing, and product applications functions), overseeing the facility/plant builds, plant operations.
This position will be located in the SF/Bay Area and requires candidates to live in commutable distance to our facilities. Relocation assistance will be considered.
Lead design and implementation of the fermentation, process recovery, scale-up, engineering, R&D and operations.
Ensure safe and environmentally sustainable operations as uncompromised priorities by implementing process safety management (PSM) or Hazardous Process Design (HPD) initiatives and programs.
Lead (hire, develop, inspire, manage) a group of highly effective engineers, chemists, fermentation scientists chemical engineers and research associates.
Continuously identify and implement leading-edge innovations in relevant areas of fermentation manufacturing and process chemistry
Initiate, plan, and monitor the development of fermentation, dsp and dsp processes as a functional manager and task leader.
Ensure a holistic approach to integrate both upstream and downstream considerations in product/process R&D
Contribute to and use first principle manufacturing economic models to screen process concepts and evaluate outcomes
Oversee capital projects, facility, and plant builds
Optimize full process for ingredient production
Oversee further development & scaling of the technology
Oversee engineering and technology R&D of CO2/H2 bioprocessing, downstream processing, and bioreactor design
- Degree in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, chemistry, or equivalent work experience.
- 15+ years of leadership experience in diverse bioprocess technology, R&D and engineering environments.
- In-depth experience with fermentation bioprocesses and process recovery.
- Experience leading and overseeing capital projects, facility, and pilot plant build.
- Expertise with process safety management (PSM) or hazardous process design (HPD)
- Experience in building and deploying innovation in a process development setting
- Fermentation experience in the food, pharmaceutical, or biotech industries.
- Experience with gas-to-liquid, gas-to-chemicals, hydrogenation, or hydrogen (H2) related gas processes.
Skills & Qualities
- Strong leadership in safety, demonstrated
- Demands excellence in execution
- Able to develop new systems / scale up innovations
- Able to build and manage strong teams
Check us out in the media, news, and in the community:
- Forbes: The Meatless Mafia: Four Companies Revolutionizing the Future of Food
- World Economic Forum: Air Protein Named WEF Technology Pioneer
- TED Talk: A forgotten Space Age Technology Could Change How We Grow Food
- Bloomberg: Crop Trader ADM Pours Money Into Firm Making Meat Out of Air
Salary Range For Position: $234,000 - $319,000 USD Annual
Air Protein is an equal opportunity employer.
At Air Protein, we are committed to providing equal opportunities. Because we want the absolute best people, we enthusiastically invite people of every race, color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability – or any other status protected by law – to apply to join our team.
Research has shown that women and people from marginalized groups may not apply for a role if they aren't a 100% match. Please don't hold back. If you think you will excel in this role, but perhaps you don’t tick every box, we'd appreciate the opportunity to consider your application.
Please Click Link To Apply