We are looking for a passionate and experienced food scientist to join our New Product Development team. Candidates who understand food chemistry, ingredient functionalities (preferably proteins), processing principals and evaluation tools (texture, sensory, etc.) and who are not hesitant to make, tweak and demo various food concepts/products are encouraged to apply.
Location: South San Francisco, CA
FLSA Status: Full Time, Exempt
Reports to: Director of New Product Development
Role and Responsibilities
As a key member of the New Product Development team, you will be tasked with:
- Ingredient characterization tests (e.g. solubility, viscosity, pH, foaming, gelation, emulsification, etc.).
- Evaluation of ingredient performance in food model systems (e.g. texture, sensory, etc.).
- Development of formulation and process specifications for various food applications (e.g. bakery, meat/meat analogues, beverages, cheeses, etc.).
- Preparation of demo samples for customers and investors.
- Summarizing and reporting results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Cross-functional work with Quality and Regulatory, Marketing and Manufacturing on new product development and launch.
- Collaboration with suppliers and vendors to effectively source materials and services.
- Collaboration with research institutions to conduct analytical as well as nutritional testing as needed.
- Ensure compliance with food laws and regulations.
- Other assigned tasks as needed.
Qualification and skill requirements
- BS in Food Science with 7+ years; MS with 5+ years; or PhD with 3+ years of active food product development experience. Advanced knowledge in food chemistry (preferably protein chemistry), ingredient functionality and interactions, food processing and evaluation techniques is required.
- Ability to report lab results with high level summaries while keeping detailed lab records is required.
- Prior applications/characterization experience with proteins (plant and/or animal) is preferred.
- Knowledge of fundamentals and practices of sensory and consumer science is highly desirable.
- Proven track record of launching new ingredients or consumer food products with stage gate process would be highly desirable.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods.