Food Materials Scientist
Posted: February 4, 2022
Closing: March 31, 2022
At New School Foods, our mission is to accelerate the transition to a kinder, healthier, alt-protein-first food system. Using plant-based ingredients & our proprietary production technologies, we create zero-compromise seafood alternatives designed for the average consumer. Our healthy, whole-muscle, plant-based filets are made to look, cook, taste and flake just like fish. All with a lower carbon footprint, and without harming the ocean.
Through our focus on continuous R&D, we are building products that don’t just make change easier, they make it rewarding. They say “there are plenty of fish in the sea” - come be a part of the New School team, and let’s make sure it stays that way.
We are looking for a talented Food Scientist / Senior Food Scientist to join our fast-growing team. This self-motivated, creative, and results-oriented individual will have an understanding of the physical and chemical properties of food ingredients, specifically, hydrocolloids, starches, plant proteins, and their interactions. You will leverage your extensive hands-on experience in food product development to create new meat analog products with improved nutritional quality, flavor, appearance, and texture. You must exhibit the ability to think beyond standard methods, independently lead and reach conclusions, and clearly deliver results. You’ll have the opportunity to make an immediate impact in our product formulations and initiate new creative product concepts.
In this role, you will work closely with a team of food scientists at our Toronto-based R&D lab & kitchen to develop and modify the texture of our plant-based meat. Demonstrated research should include characterizing and/or understanding the structure/function relationship of proteins, particularly in novel food products and systems.
- Actively support the innovation process: brainstorming and ideation sessions, concept development, concept screening, and commercialization in compliance with food safety standards
- Improve existing methods and formulations to enhance their organoleptic properties, texture, nutritional profiles, and cooking profile, using personal expertise, materials procurement, literature and IP research, etc.
- Design and execute experiments and prepare results for review; plan tasks with some guidance
- Create and characterize hydrocolloids-starches-protein interactions
- Participate with scientists in the drafting of patents, scientific papers, presentations
- Perform high throughput screening and carry out shelf-life experiments
- Maintain a laboratory notebook, upload data into online an knowledge management system and present research findings in a succint well-organized manner to the team
- Apply statistical analysis tools to analyze and interpret the data, derive conclusions, and translate them into optimizing the product performance
- Maintain and operate a broad array of sample preparation and analytical equipment (texture analyzer, colorimeter etc)
- Provide general laboratory support, purchase equipment and supplies, maintain a clean, organized, and safe work area, including routine maintenance & cleaning of equipment, utensils and work surfaces, and ensure compliance with all safety policies and practices.
SKILLS & TRAITS
- Embraces the mission and purpose of New School Foods
- Excitement for working in a fast-paced environment, with high energy, creativity, personal dedication, accountability and ownership
- Understands and thrives in an unstructured startup environment and is able to develop structure and process where required while maintaining flexibility and agility
- Excellent time management, teamwork, and communication skills, with ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
- Demonstarted ability to work collaboratively within a high performance team
- Adaptable to evolving scientific and business priorities
- Willingness to grow in a dynamic environment and handle constantly evolving objectives.
- BS in a scientific discipline (materials science, physics or biophysics, chemistry, physical chemistry, biological or chemical engineering, or a related field) with 5+ years of product development experience in a food and/or food ingredient company
- Experienced in food product design, including formulation, ingredient functionality and interaction, process design, product scale-up, plant testing and commercialization
- Experience in food texture development and emulsion formulation
- Experience in designing and executing experiments and analyzing results
- Hands-on experience characterizing and quantifying food ingredients such as proteins, fats, hydrocolloids, flavorants, colorants, and nutrients using chemistry, rheology, texture analysis, and other scientific means
- Demonstrated knowledge of lab techniques and instrumentation as evidenced by experience with several specialized instruments
- Knowledgeable about the structural/functional properties of proteins, starches, hydrocolloids, and ideally how they function in food-related materials
New School Foods offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, paid time off, and more. This position is for our Toronto, Canada location.
Please note that New School Foods has a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees. All employees are required to be Fully Vaccinated as a condition of employment. At New School Foods, we believe that the success of our mission requires diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We’re committed to creating an inclusive culture as we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
How to apply
Submit your application here: https://secure.collage.co/jobs/newschoolfoods/28254