Full Stack Data Scientist
Posted: October 5, 2021
Closing: January 8, 2022
Job Title: Full Stack Data Scientist
Reports to: Director of Data Science & Technologies
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Location: South San Francisco (Fully remote until further notice)
Clara Foods is a San Francisco based start-up creating animal-free food ingredients for a more sustainable food system. Following a successful Series B raise in 2019 and with major technology advancements in 2020, the organization is accelerating commercialization of the world's first animal-free egg protein, working with industry collaborators to produce products with higher levels of protein and unique functionalities.
Clara’s data team brings together scientists, engineers, and designers to craft tailor made data tools and models that accelerate and inform every part of the organization. We are excited to welcome a new Full Stack Data Scientist who will co-design and build unique applications with almost every other domain in the company. This team is weaving data products into the fabric of the organization from machine learning in genomics data to process optimization and mining on flavor. We are looking for folks eager to learn about and collaborate with many different disciplines. Ideal candidates are ready to work with others to build solutions from conception to release.
You are excited to work with others in applying machine learning, statistics, data visualization, and software engineering to solve complex problems in biology, food science, operations, and sustainability. You are able to take your work from initial exploration with internal users to integration in a production system, conducting experiments and growing infrastructure along the way. You may or may not be fluent in all of these different areas but are eager to build your knowledge broadly while working with many other parts of the company.
Like others on the team, you will shepard your high impact work from conception to release:
- Co-designing data science solutions with other teams and partners.
- Experimenting in complex problems and datasets, often using machine learning.
- Storytelling about your findings for different audiences, often with data visualization.
- Creating conduits for data that unite different teams together.
- Building software-based tools around your work.
Skills and Requirements:
We are building a team of diverse skills and backgrounds so encourage folks to apply even if they don’t have all of the following desired skills but want to work with many different tools and technologies:
- Python programming
- Machine learning-based modeling (experience in scikit and tensorflow a plus)
- Statistical expertise (experience in scipy or statsmodels a plus)
- Data visualization (Tableau, d3, Processing, or p5.js a plus)
- Building data services (flask, fastapi, or django a plus)
- Working with SQL databases (postgres a plus)
- Distributed computing (spark, hadoop, dask, or pathos a plus)
- Unit testing (CI/CD a plus)
- Prior work or desire to grow in food, bioinformatics, and operations research.
- Experience in the following is a plus but not required: ElasticSearch or Rethinkdb.
Note: though most employees are currently working from home, you will be expected to be available during regular business hours (9am to 5pm Pacific Time) and, periodically, during pre-scheduled times outside regular business hours.
What Clara can Offer:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 10 paid company holidays per year
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and CalTrain stations, including free shuttle service
About Clara Foods™
Clara Foods™ is a Bay Area venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins without the animal using fermentation. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists, and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting - and that technology may hold a solution.
As much as the growing market demands for animal protein production exert pressure on food producers to improve their efficiencies and outputs, there is also growing public distaste for the environmental, animal welfare, and health compromises of industrial-scale animal agriculture.
Clara Foods™ aims to subvert this moral and economic deadlock by taking the animal out of the equation. We’re bringing products to the table that are produced completely animal-free, use less land and water inputs, while matching the taste, nutritional value, and unique culinary properties of animal proteins.
Clara Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
How to apply