Posted: October 6, 2020
Closing: December 31, 2020
Do you have a passion for using biotechnology to build sustainable new sources of animal-free protein? Then we are looking for you. Do you want to join a new community of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people – and that biotechnology may hold a solution. You will love our mission of using innovative robotics and synthetic DNA technology to create novel sources of protein for human nutrition.
As a Research Associate in the Strain Engineering team, you will help develop novel synthetic biology solutions. You will be designing, building and testing better genetic circuits for driving up animal protein production by Clara’s yeast platform. You will be interfacing with Clara’s HTP screening team to test out designs as well as performing your own expression experiments.
Reports To: Senior Scientist
Location: South San Francisco, CA
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Role and responsibilities
- Help execute DNA construction strategies
- Contribute to HTP screening program using Qpix and Biomek FX robots
- Work alongside creative, innovative scientists
- Present results in team meetings
- Document results and report to team members
Skills and Experience
- B.S. in molecular biology, bio-engineering or similar program with 0 to 2 years’ industrial work experience
- Experienced in standard synthetic biology techniques such as RE digestion and ligations, agarose gel analysis, PCR, Gibson cloning, and bacterial and yeast transformation
- Expression testing using PAGE analysis
- Experience working with robotics systems such as QPix, Biomek FX is a plus but willingness to learn is most important.
- Self-starter with strong organizational, analytical, and general communication skills.
- Comfortable working within a small, collaborative team, passionate about changing the world of food
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. for Clara Foods.
What Clara Can Offer
• Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
• Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
• Unlimited paid time off and 10 paid company holidays per year
• Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
• Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
• Weekly themed happy hours and quarterly company outings
• Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
• Close to South San Francisco BART and Cal Train stations, including free shuttle service
How to apply