Scientist II, Next Generation Sequencing
Posted: May 26, 2021
Closing: July 3, 2021
Job Title: Scientist II, Next Generation Sequencing
Reports to: VP of R&D
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full Time
Location: South San Francisco, CA
A start-up based in San Francisco, Clara Foods creates animal-free ingredients for a more sustainable food system. After a successful Series B in 2019 as well as major technology advancements in 2020, the organization successfully commercialized its first animal free protein. Today, Clara is expanding its R&D and manufacturing capabilities, working with industry collaborators to make new products with higher levels of protein and unique functionalities.
If you are…
- ready to move past a traditional 9-5 and work towards moving the needle on the Earth’s most existential threats of deforestation, mass extinctions, climate change, and food shortages
- insanely hungry and entrepreneurial with no ego and a relentless work ethic
- ready to change the course of history, push the frontier of science and do it alongside the most passionate, intelligent, and humble people you’ve ever met, then look no further.
This job isn't for the faint of heart. Join our team, own your destiny, and lead the world's transition to animal-free protein.
We are excited to welcome a new scientist to our Discovery team where they will employ their expertise sequencing genomes and transcriptomes to provide insights into Clara’s strains and bioprocess workstreams. They will lead a team delivering Omics datasets for the company in a robust fashion and in collaboration with other teams including Strain Engineering, Process Development and Data Science/Machine Learning.
- Execute whole genome resequencing and transcriptome sequencing and analyses using NGS tools
- Collaborate with Data Science team on Omics data analysis workstreams and novel machine learning systems
- Work closely with wet lab scientists to develop robust experimental strategies leveraging NGS technologies.
- Work collaboratively with project leads to develop optimal gene-editing strategies, performing in silico predictions and data analysis.
- Research and evaluate new experimental and computational methods and technologies for continual process improvement.
- Document results and present in team meetings with emphasis on hypothesis building to guide next generation of strain engineering and process improvement algorithms
- Work alongside creative and innovative scientists across disciplines
- Supervise and grow the Omics team
- Ph.D. in genomics, molecular biology, bio-engineering or similar program with 2 to 4 years’ industrial work experience, OR M.S. with 6 years’ experience, OR B.S. with 10 years’ experience
- Experience in NGS workflows and Omics data analysis
- Familiarity with Minion from Oxford Nanopore Technologies and Illumina NextSeq is a strong plus
- Experience supervising scientists
- Adept at using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SLQ, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets
- Experience with bash scripting or computational pipeline tools like Luigi a plus.
- Experience with basic microbiology is a strong plus
- Self-starter with strong organizational, analytical, and communication skills
- Comfortable working within a small, collaborative team, passionate about changing the world of food
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S. for Clara Foods
What Clara Foods can offer:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock options
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly themed happy hours and quarterly company outings
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and Cal Train stations, including free shuttle service
About Clara Foods™
Clara Foods™ is a venture capital-backed company working towards a disruptive advance in food technology by producing animal proteins using fermentation --- without the animal. We join a new generation of entrepreneurs, activists and scientists who recognize that the decades-old factory farm model cannot sustain the dietary needs of 7 billion people and counting - and that technology may hold a solution.
How to apply