Senior/Principal Food Scientist - Egg Protein (hybrid)
Posted: July 27, 2022
Closing: October 27, 2022
EVERY™, based in South San Francisco, is a leading VC-backed food tech ingredient company using precision fermentation to create animal proteins without the animal for the global food and beverage industry. Originally founded as Clara Foods in 2014, EVERY™ rebranded in 2021 to better convey its vision to bring animal-free proteins to everyone, everywhere. EVERY™ is a team of passionate change makers who are reimagining the factory farm model with a kinder, more sustainable alternative. Leveraging precision fermentation to produce hyper-functional and one-to-one replacement proteins from microorganisms, EVERY™ is on a mission to decouple the world’s proteins from the animals that make them.
We are a passionate, determined, (and fun!) team with a vital objective, and we're on the lookout for like-minded people to join our mission. Sound like you?
Senior/Principal Food Scientist – Egg protein
We are looking for a passionate and experienced food scientist on egg-derived ingredients and products to join our Applications team. You are encouraged to apply if you understand food chemistry, ingredient functionalities (egg-derived in particular), formulation and processing principles and evaluation tools (analytical, texture, sensory, etc.) and have hands-on experience on R&D or application of various egg products (liquid/frozen/powder/cooked/whole egg/egg white, etc.). Using your passion for exploring the unknowns and expertise in food ingredients/applications, you will have the privilege to check out the world’s first precision fermentation-derived egg proteins and many other proteins to come in different foods.
**Report to: **Director of Applications, with a dotted line to General Manager EVERY EGG
As a key member of the Applications team, you will own projects independently as the technical lead from project planning to execution. You will work with the General manager of EVERY Egg on development of finished egg products (e.g. whole egg, egg white, liquid, frozen, cooked, etc.) containing EVERY’s animal-free egg protein from concept to commercialization.
Detailed roles and responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement strategies that deliver the organoleptic properties, nutritional profiles, cooking dynamics and shelf-life of egg analogs.
- Drive new product development from bench-top prototyping through pilot and plant trials in support of EVERY's objectives.
- Oversee and/or conduct product formulation, benchmarking, testing, sensory and instrumental analyses of product prototypes.
- Work with vendors and ingredient suppliers to develop product solutions, including optimal solutions for process implementation and improvement.
- Work with EVERY operations, manufacturing, quality assurance, marketing and sales for product manufacturing and launch.
- Write technical reports, memorandums and product literature.
- In addition to the EVERY Egg product development, provide technical expertise on EVERY proteins, their functionalities and application in food (e.g. bakery, beverages, culinary, meat, dairy etc.).
- Work with the Technology team to help identify protein pipeline candidates and target protein functionalities.
- Capture product and applications-related IP.
- This will be initially an independent contributor role with no supervisory responsibilities, but mentoring/coaching junior team members is expected.
- Other assigned tasks as needed.
- MS in Food Science with 7-15 years of industrial experience in egg-derived ingredients/products R&D or applications.
- Advanced knowledge in food chemistry and processing, ingredient functionalities and interactions and product formulation.
- Prior experience on egg protein R&D or applications (culinary applications preferred).
- Prior experience in new product development from ideation to launch through stage gate process or equivalent.
- Curiosity and tenacity to explore the unknowns.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for The EVERY Company DBA Clara Foods.
- PhD in food science with 5-10 years of industrial experience in egg-derived ingredients/products R&D or applications.
- Prior experience in egg replacers and/or plant-based food.
- Prior experience with CPG or food service.
*This position is based in our South San Francisco, CA location - The Every Company may may agree to offer relocation assistance for this role. *
What EVERY™ can Offer for Full-Time Positions:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 14 paid company holidays per year
- Parental Leave: 10 weeks of parental leave and 6 weeks of childbirth leave
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and CalTrain stations, including free shuttle service
EVERY™ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
How to apply